Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Last Person Of An Era

Gladys Powers, believed to be the last surviving female veteran of the First World War in the world, had her funeral Friday in Abbotsford, B.C. Above, she dances with Marcelo Santos at a party for her 106th birthday in 2005 at her residence. Photograph by : Peter Battistoni/Vancouver Sun

World's Last Female First World War Veteran
Dies, Aged 109 -- Canada.com


Lied about age when she enlisted at 15

ABBOTSFORD, B.C. - The funeral for a B.C. resident believed to be the world's last female First World War veteran was held on Friday in Abbotsford.

Gladys Powers, who died on Aug. 15 at age 109, lied about her age to enlist in the British Women's Army Auxiliary Corps when she was 15.

"She was right in it. She was in the underground tunnels when the bombs were dropping," said her daughter-in-law Pat Powers.

"It's something you don't forget and it's something that affects your life forever."

Powers, who was living in a seniors' home in this city 65 kilometres east of Vancouver, was admitted to hospital on Aug. 14 after breaking her hip.

She died in her sleep at 2 a.m. the following morning.

Read more ....

My Comment: Stories like this remind me of my father. He served in the Soviet Army in the Second World War, and was a source of military information, experience, and education to me for years. When he past away three years ago I did not only lose my father but also my teacher and the most reliable person in my life.

I know that the last of these great veterans will be lost to us very soon .... but their legacy will live with us forever.

No comments: